PennMustangs  
Old 04-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
nitromonkey

valve stem and roller tip question.

Was test fitting a poly lock and noticed that the roller tip was not centered on the valve. looked down that side of the valve train and some of them are off as well. everything is loose cause I have no poly locks, but what would cause the valve stem to be to one side of the roller?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
ram360

They sell rocker shim kits.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Shifter

I'm not following you fully.

Are you looking at the rocker straight on or from the side? If straight on, and they are stud mounts, you can loosen the studs and move the guide plates back and forth to center it better.

If you are talking about the "sweep", then you have to color the valve stem with a sharpie, set the rocker with the lock, and roll the engine over a few times to see where the pattern is.

1984 GT - 363/c4, street legal-pump gas
Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
nitromonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifter View Post
I'm not following you fully.

Are you looking at the rocker straight on or from the side? If straight on, and they are stud mounts, you can loosen the studs and move the guide plates back and forth to center it better.

If you are talking about the "sweep", then you have to color the valve stem with a sharpie, set the rocker with the lock, and roll the engine over a few times to see where the pattern is.
Sorry, Looking straight on at the rocker is where I was looking. Kool, was really worried about that. When I get the rockers centered better then the shims will come into play to get the sweep in the center? Thanks Lou, Thanks Bernie.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
nitromonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram360 View Post
They sell rocker shim kits.
You got a shim kit part # for 7/16 stud mount rockers? Can only seem to find pedestal mount shim kits.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
Shifter

Bernie was smoking crack again.
Shim kits are ONLY for pedestal rockers.

For an adjustable rocker setup (like your studs) you use pushrod length to achieve proper geometry.

1984 GT - 363/c4, street legal-pump gas
Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
racerxmd

Talking

If the rocker tip (roller) is either too far left or right on the valve stem, you can do as Shifter says. Just loosen the screw in studs and guide plates. Then move guide plates to desired position left or right to align better. If still more adjustments are needed, sometimes you can slot the hole in the guide plate a little to help. They also make an Adjustable Guide Plates kits like from Isky,Comp Cams makes. Here are some pics of what I am talking about:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...jWNU4DzLH9G5Sg

Isky # 200-AGP ( 5/16" push rod)
racerxmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
nitromonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifter View Post
Bernie was smoking crack again.
Shim kits are ONLY for pedestal rockers.

For an adjustable rocker setup (like your studs) you use pushrod length to achieve proper geometry.
lol, Thanks Lou. Hopefully the proper pushrods were chosen when the topend was put together by another party.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxmd View Post
If the rocker tip (roller) is either too far left or right on the valve stem, you can do as Shifter says. Just loosen the screw in studs and guide plates. Then move guide plates to desired position left or right to align better. If still more adjustments are needed, sometimes you can slot the hole in the guide plate a little to help. They also make an Adjustable Guide Plates kits like from Isky,Comp Cams makes. Here are some pics of what I am talking about:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...jWNU4DzLH9G5Sg

Isky # 200-AGP ( 5/16" push rod)
Thanks Sergio, I've seen the adj Comp plates in my search for rockers. Lets hope that that's one thing I don't need to get.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
nitromonkey

Spoke to soon, scoped out the situation with the rockers and looks like I need the adj valve guides. I need to be able to adjust the guides independently to get the correct geometry. Any tips on the subject? Torque specs on the studs? Red thread locker on the studs?