PennMustangs  

Go Back   PennMustangs > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Tech

Old 08-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
7-Up PA

Upgrade weak OE 75 amp alternator to 95 amp

Hi, sorry if this has been answered before, I searched the forums and was unable to find anything. The weak OE 75 amp alternator in my car is toast. I have purchased a PA Performance 95amp alternator as a replacement. The consensus online from various sources seems to indicate that unless you're upgrading to the 130 amp pr higher powered alternators the 4 gauge power kit wire with fuse is unnecessary. The car is and will remain stock. I obviously wanted a little more in the way of amps as the car is strained with all the accessories on. Trying to keep it as stock as possible and this is a stock fit so it makes the most sense. Any ideas? Will the stock wiring handle the extra 20 amps of this 95 amp unit?
7-Up PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
brisk_tea

Yeah, you probably could get away with the wiring... BUT, how old is the wiring? Let's say you have a '93, which means you are talking about at least 20 year old wiring. If anything, i would replace with factory style new for piece of mind. But since going through the trouble, might as well upgrade. It's not like it is something that will jump out to people. And even if it does, would you really want to risk burning your car to the ground? You already acknowledge that everything is already strained, so there you go.

My boy put in a stronger alternator/battery, against my suggestion, for stereo system in his '90 something truck. My point was the same, old wiring & inadequate for what you want to do. Take sone time & do it right, or you could have problems.

This was 1 hour later....

Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
9redfox3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-Up PA View Post
Hi, sorry if this has been answered before, I searched the forums and was unable to find anything. The weak OE 75 amp alternator in my car is toast. I have purchased a PA Performance 95amp alternator as a replacement. The consensus online from various sources seems to indicate that unless you're upgrading to the 130 amp pr higher powered alternators the 4 gauge power kit wire with fuse is unnecessary. The car is and will remain stock. I obviously wanted a little more in the way of amps as the car is strained with all the accessories on. Trying to keep it as stock as possible and this is a stock fit so it makes the most sense. Any ideas? Will the stock wiring handle the extra 20 amps of this 95 amp unit?
Yes it will I have the same one, might have to notch the bracket that holds the alternator in place ? This alternator is a nice upgrade from stock....
[308,GT40 Heads,Cobra upper/lower Intakes,Accufab 70mm TB,1.7 Crane Rockers,255 Walbro,75mm 19lbs MAF,BBK Shorty Headers,High Flow Cats,Flowmaster 40's,3.55 Gears,Aluminum D/S,Tokico shocks/struts,MM Subframe Connectors.]
9redfox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
7-Up PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9redfox3 View Post
Yes it will I have the same one, might have to notch the bracket that holds the alternator in place ? This alternator is a nice upgrade from stock....
I thought you went with the 130 amp. So you did not install that additional wire that is supposed to run alongside the current wiring. I asked my uncle in Wilkes Barre who is a Ford mechanic, he said it can handle it. The 75 worked, it is just weak when you turn on your A/C on high, lights, wipers, etc. My voltage gauge always drops to the lower end of normal. My guess is the new alternator will take care of that.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Shifter

95 "will" work thru the stock wiring....but that doesn't mean that it "should".

I like to see the 4 ga upgrade.

1984 GT - 363/c4, street legal-pump gas
Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
7-Up PA

Thanks guys. I called Late Model Restoration and confirmed 130 and up needs the 4 gauge wire, 95 amp does not. I also found this step by step write up online. It states in the article:

...this kit is strictly optional on the 95-amp alternator we just installed, but PA-Performance considers it mandatory for its 130-amp...

Here is the link to the article for reference:

Read more: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...#ixzz2cWHj51qH

Thanks again!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
brisk_tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifter View Post
95 "will" work thru the stock wiring....but that doesn't mean that it "should".

I like to see the 4 ga upgrade.
Good luck, Lou & I just wanted to make sure you knew that just because everyone says something is OK doesn't mean it is. I'm sure more than half the people that gave you their opinion never even heard of ohm's law.

Not to get to deep into the subject, we're talking about wiring for 75 volt alternator being used for a 95 volt alternator.

R(esistance) = V(oltage) / I (current)

So if you have 10 amps, that's 7.5ohms resistance with stock alternator & 9.5ohms for the new alternator. That extra 2ohms (let's say per foot) is noticed as heat (think toaster). If you have faulty wiring or sheilding, this extra heat can readily become apparent.

Like i said, at very least make sure wiring looks good (no greenish color corrosion, splices, etc). Make sure your fusible link is present & in good condition.
If it looks good, then give it a try. But make sure you feel the heat of the wire after running new alternator & if the heat hurts, you have a problem.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
9redfox3

Well "Shifter Lou did mine 95 amp and we never upgraded the wire ....... so far so good ? but when we do the clutch this fall after reading what he posted guess what we will do the 4 ga upgrade....**** that why take a chance like this had no Idea ?
[308,GT40 Heads,Cobra upper/lower Intakes,Accufab 70mm TB,1.7 Crane Rockers,255 Walbro,75mm 19lbs MAF,BBK Shorty Headers,High Flow Cats,Flowmaster 40's,3.55 Gears,Aluminum D/S,Tokico shocks/struts,MM Subframe Connectors.]
Old 08-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
7-Up PA

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisk_tea View Post
Good luck, Lou & I just wanted to make sure you knew that just because everyone says something is OK doesn't mean it is. I'm sure more than half the people that gave you their opinion never even heard of ohm's law.

Not to get to deep into the subject, we're talking about wiring for 75 volt alternator being used for a 95 volt alternator.

R(esistance) = V(oltage) / I (current)

So if you have 10 amps, that's 7.5ohms resistance with stock alternator & 9.5ohms for the new alternator. That extra 2ohms (let's say per foot) is noticed as heat (think toaster). If you have faulty wiring or sheilding, this extra heat can readily become apparent.

Like i said, at very least make sure wiring looks good (no greenish color corrosion, splices, etc). Make sure your fusible link is present & in good condition.
If it looks good, then give it a try. But make sure you feel the heat of the wire after running new alternator & if the heat hurts, you have a problem.
I will check it out no doubt! The car comes from Florida where it lived all its life and only has 65,000 miles. It is in really good shape. With the exception of the radiator, belts, hoses, and battery it is original down to the OE exhaust!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
brisk_tea

FL = salty air = corrosion where you least expect it.

Just look at the ends of the wiring, & if you see greenish color or flaky white falling out; look into it. You may just need to replace the connectors on the end & cut-off an inch or so wiring.

No, i'm not trying to scare you or Rich;i just wanted to make sure you understand that there are some things that people take for vantage without thinking much about them. In reality almost all factory wiring is undersized or poor quality.
And just so you know, i did the PA upgrade on my '94 & my car caught on fire when it was getting dyno tuned. My fusible link broke the way it should, but due to the quick spike the wiring had already caught fire & we t down to the alternator. Luckily due to the hood being up already, we had easy access to cut the wires before it went further.

***note, yes i already noticed i did the math above wrong with reversing V & I numbers ; but it's still the same point. Factories build cars for intended purpose. The wiring size (resistance) is for X amount Volts, current, & can easily be surpassed. The same way the engines can only take so much boost, nitrous, etc. ***
Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
9redfox3

Thanks Joe I will take a look and see if I see any corrosion there ? I never thought about this like I said but I know Shifter" does great work and really like the build he did for me ! I'm sure it's ok but would still like to have a heavier wire installed just to give me peace of mind.....
Old 08-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
brisk_tea

No problem rich, it's one of those things everyone takes for granted. Yes 99.99999999999% of the people will never have a problem, but is a couple dollars really worth being that 1 person that has a problem?